While many collections may vie for the title “Worlds Best Private Car Collection” the Mullin may well be that collection. However, the Nethercutt collection just a few miles from there, the Miller collection in Colorado and other collections vie for that honor as well. It sort of depends on what cars you like. But in terms of “value”, the Mullin may well the most expensive with many multi million dollar cars including the world’s most expensive car that sold for 44 million.
See the Delahayne Type 165
From Car Revs Daily:
This car was built to represent France at the 1939 New York World’s Fair, an exposition promoted with the slogan “Dawn of a New Day”. While the engine was not completed in time for its display, the modernity and sublime beauty of this car’s styling drew throngs of admirers from the public and the press.
Europe was engulfed by war by the fair’s close in 1940 and U.S. Custom’s impounded this car in New York for the duration of the war. In 1946 Roger Barlow purchased it at public auction and took it to his Beverly Hills dealership. Later that year, installed with a special high-powered Cadillac motor, the car was purchased for $12,000 by businessman Vivan Corradini, who drove the car home to New York.
In 1951 a Naval Luitenant Nevels purchased the car from a used car lot in Honolulu. In 1953 Nevels sold it to an enlisted man. A Fresno garage, assumed ownership of the car after it was abandoned by the enlisted man’s widow.
Al Brewer, a tow truck driver purchased it from the garage for $1,200 in the 1970s. After four years of negotiation, Jim Hull and Peter Mullin purchased the car in 1985 and began its restoration, purchasing its original engine from Count Hubertus von Doenhoff.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The Mullin Automotive Museum is a privately owned automobile museum in Oxnard, California, US. Established in 2010, it displays the personal car collection of businessman and philanthropist Peter W. Mullin. The museum has a large collection of vintage Bugattis, and many of the cars are fully restored and able to be driven.
The museum is housed in the building formerly occupied by the Chandler Vintage Museum of Transportation and Wildlife. The 50,000 sq ft (4,600 m2) building was remodeled to be more energy efficient by American architect David Randall Hertz, making use of solar panels and reflective roofing to reduce heat, yet incorporating elements that retain the Art Deco style and motifs in order to match the era of the cars, many of which were made by French manufacturers in the 1920s and 1930s